The SPIDER GUIDE -- I am trying to expand my efforts to the other 49 states, and I can use your help. If you have found me or Michigan Spiders helpful, Please consider heading over to my new site, The Spider guide and adding it to your bookmarks, clicking the G+1 icon at the top left, or clicking on follow.... or whatever you are comfortable with. The more who even look around the site, the higher it will rise up the search engines for more people in other states to find it.

CANCER - A friend of mine and my wife has cancer. Please check out his page. http://www.gofundme.com/biwfj4
If you cant help, please share the page on facebook or another media outlet. As a favor to me if not for any other reason.


I am looking for someone who is experienced with placing items like insects inside of clear resin paperweights. I would someday like to encase a Brown Recluse and a Black Widow. At this time I do not have the spiders, nor do I have the money, but I would like to find someone who has the ability to do a professional job and learn what the price would be for when I am ready. If you have this experience and would be willing to do it, please email me and let me know your price.

Please scroll down to reach the current Article for this page.

Spiders verified to be here in Michigan are listed on the left sidebar. On the right sidebar, are the spiders of which pictures have been sent in to me.

MICHIGAN SPIDERS - The BOOK

Michigan Spiders (Ebook version) is available at Smashwords for only $3.99 and at least at this time, is more complete than this site. It has more spiders and shows pictures for more species of spiders.

Once it becomes available at other stores (including the printed version at Amazon) I will update this posting.

NOT IN MICHIGAN? Thats okay! If you have a spider you want identified, and you are not from Michigan, or even America, please send the picture to me through my new (still in progress) site's email. Visit the Spider Guide for information.

VERY IMPORTANT
Contrary to what most people believe, the Brown Recluse is NOT indigenous to Michigan. However, if you have reason to believe you have found one, DO NOT discard it alive or dead! I can only uncover about 4 confirmed sightings ever in Michigan. A sighting cannot be confirmed without positive identification and this will take more than just a picture. Whether you catch it alive or kill it, please take pictures and send them to me. If I agree it is the Recluse, I will help you have it identified professionally. You can find the email where to send it, below.

**NOTE**

I am NOT an expert. It is of utmost importance to me that all Spider information listed in Michigan Spiders, is true and accurate. If I have any information on Michigan Spiders wrong, or you do not wish me to use a pic or info that you sent to me, please email me and let me know. More will be added as I find time to do so. Thanks for visiting Michigan Spiders.

Spider Questions and IDENTIFICATION Requests
If you have any questions or have a picture of a spider you would like me to identify, please feel free to email me. Please attach the picture of the spider to the email as a JPEG or a BMP. I would prefer you did not paste the picture in the body of the email unless there is no other way.
EMAIL ME at MichiganSpiders@hotmail.com

NOTE -- Any pictures sent to me for identification (or any other reason) may be used in this site. I would ask you to please include your first name and the city you found the spider. (I will only use the first name). IF, you do not wish me to use either the picture, first name, or city, please let me know!

Describing your Spider

Photographing your Spider


Your Fear of Spiders


Dealing with Spiders in your Home

Please keep in mind that I am a very busy person. Between my family, my job, my books, and Michigan Spiders, there is often not enough time in the day. The lack of free time makes it very difficult for me to put any real time into updating this site, and I am sorry for that. I do try to keep up with emails during the warm months, but please be patient if you do not hear back from me within a day or two.

FOR YOUR ENTERTAINMENT
.....

Beyond Spider Dome
A clear plastic dome (well it is more of a cylinder really), where two spiders are released to face each other in a fight to the death.

Spiders and Drugs
Documentary video about the effects different drugs have on spiders.

Play with a computer spider (Flash)


For a little better understanding of the body parts of the Spider, please refer to our Spider Diagram.

Monday, August 9, 2010

Orb Weaver

Also known as the common Garden Spider, Diadem Spider, and Cross Spider.

Michigan Spiders - Orb Weaver-1Good picture of the cross on its abdomen.


Michigan Spiders - Orb Weaver-2Face to face with the common Orb Weaver


Michigan Spiders - Orb Weaver-3A nice profile shot of this guy


Michigan Spiders - Orb Weaver-4Got him to pose for me to get a shot at his underside.


Abdomen - Round and slightly oblong with an array of design to the pattern and can range from light yellow to a gray in color. Most prominent on the abdomen is usually a white cross.

Cephalothorax - Around half the size of the abdomen, it is sometimes smooth with a hairier head area.

Size
- I have seen adults around as large as a quarter, thought that is including its legs.

Bite Info - As ugly as this spider may seem, it is quite tame and harder than most to provoke to bite. When it does bite, it leaves nothing more than some irritation and is completely harmless to humans.

Other Notes - They tend to spin round webs, strung across an open area and will sit in the center (head down) and wait for their prey to fly into its web

Genus - Araneus diadematus

23 comments:

  1. I have one of these guys in my bathroom. I see him everyday and I'm just letting him be because he amuses me. ^^ I think I have a male but can't be sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have one of these who constantly sets up his web at night (he has to keep remaking it because birds keep flying through it). He's really smart because when the porch light comes on all the moths and other bugs that are drawn to light come flicking and inevitably get stuck in hid web. He's been here for quite a while, maybe a week or so. We have named him Vlad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have one that looks just like that in North Eastern PA, they just keep re-appearing. Is this one of their natural habitats?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since I have only been looking up spiders here in Michigan, I cannot say for sure if they are in PA, but I think they are common in all states. I do know they are a very common species in the USA, I just cannot say for sure if all states have them. If I had to guess, I would definitely put my money on it they live there as well. Especially since you found one. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have one just like the post from Aug. 30th. We have named her (ok, maybe him...) Charoltte for obvious reasons. She is amazing and we find her fascinating! It is nice to know that not only is she fun to watch but she is harmless. Thanks for the info!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks for the info. Now I know what kind of spider this is! I have one right outside my back door. I watched it wrap it's prey and then eat it. Ugh! Now it's hangin in it's web upside down waiting for more. Glad to know it's basically harmless.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do believe I have a few of these on the awning of my house...googled Michigan spiders & this site was the 1st result! Thanks for the info!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow we just found one in our truck

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have one of these living by my front porch! He's so cool to watch! His (or her) name is Frank. Frank loves to eat the flying ants that wanted to take over. I think he just might be at home there and he's got a crush on my glow in the dark spider Halloween decorations. My boyfriend hates him, but I already told Frank he can stay.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well from what I know, the rounder/bigger ones are indeed female while the smaller/thinner looking Orb weavers are in fact the males. I believe that's how it usually goes with all arachnids, females are the powerhouses while the males are the little guys. Anyways, I don't mind Orb weavers but I usually have to keep knocking them down or even killing them since they continue to make their webs literally in front of my back and front doors, makes leaving in the morning rather annoying. Orb weavers being harmless are great to keep around your homes to reduce the number of insects, if they can keep their webs out of your path that is.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am from salem, OR and have found a pregnant female that i caught and have been feeding to answer someone's question they are not native to the usa but there are everywhere in the usa now they come from europe somewhere -TM-

    ReplyDelete
  12. Omg one of these was outside my bathroom window last night and now it's gone it's just gone wth lol I'm terrified where did it go hopefully not in my house I have a newborn and I don't want it to bite him!!! He was literally two feet from his window and I live in an old house that has crappy windows !!!! Go far away spider!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have a large egg sack of orb weavers stuck to the inner door jamb of my van. I can just imagine what the van will look like with several hundred of these little guys weaving their first web. Mom is the size of a quarter (w/ legs extended) and has been trying to keep the kids warm during these colder nights. I don't think that the kids will make it before they hatch of we go below freezing. Any thoughts on mortality of the kids? I know mom will hibernate. Thanks for this site.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have spiders all around my house because of the 2 giant trees in front of my house. I get all sorts of spiders, including the ORB weaver. I have a giant one outside my window and when it came Winter, I watched it everyday, and I still do. I named it Billy Jean. But I think it she is dead because not to long ago she was off her web crumpled on the ledge.... I will keep watching her.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm not sure if this is the same one, I'm too afraid to get to close, but it seems I get dozens of these at night in the summer and they hang above your head. I've even had some fall on me!!!! I'm not sure if I can ever get over my fear of spiders.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sep. 3 2012, found atleast 3 of these buggers that seem to have come into my yard via the lines from the pole as one rode his web back to it as I killed one in order to identify it. The third one is centered on my upstairs window with the round web and him in the middle. I must admit I was skived by these as we don't usually get such big spiders in the city. But, am glad to find out it's only a orb weaver and as ugly as it is relatively harmless. -Center Line MI.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Im thinking these are what we have in both our bushes in front of our house. We have a huge bush on each side of our porch and there is literally TONS of them in the bush and around it. The webs are so bad we will not have to put fake webs in the bushes come Halloween. I noticed they do sit right in the middle of the web. Still have to check if its the Orb Weaver but im pretty sure this is what I saw. -Clinton Township, MI

    ReplyDelete
  18. I live in Brighton Mi and have one on my front porch right by door it freaks me and kids out even though I know it is harmless I still want gone but don't want to kill it any ideas for moving it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I believe this is the type of spider that has been living outside our kitchen window for several months. Although, ours is larger than a quarter in diameter. The abdomen alone is about as wide as a dime. It's been quite entertaining watching it catch its prey, respin its web and just hang out. I'm terrified of spiders but since it's outside the window and in my line of sight whenever I'm at my kitchen sink, I've become fascinated with it. Right now I'm just curious to know whether it's male or female and if female how to tell if/when it will lay eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I just took a couple pics of this spider that has taken up residence on my garage. We watched a fly get caught in it's web and the spider make quick work of it. Googled Michigan spiders as well...and came up with this site right off also. Thank you for helping me identify our friend !

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for your site! Glad to know these are harmless. Just caught one that was hanging out in my basement. I think I want it to live outside...

    ReplyDelete
  22. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is one that I just found in my back yard (Lansing, MI):
    http://goo.gl/b8oci8

    According to bugguide.net, this is a female Spotted Orbweaver:
    http://bugguide.net/node/view/163698

    ReplyDelete