The SPIDER GUIDE -- I am trying to expand my efforts to the other 49 states, and I can use your help. If you have found me or Michigan Spiders helpful, Please consider heading over to my new site, The Spider guide and adding it to your bookmarks, clicking the G+1 icon at the top left, or clicking on follow.... or whatever you are comfortable with. The more who even look around the site, the higher it will rise up the search engines for more people in other states to find it.

I am looking for someone who is experienced with placing items like insects inside of clear resin paperweights. I would someday like to encase a Brown Recluse and a Black Widow. At this time I do not have the spiders, nor do I have the money, but I would like to find someone who has the ability to do a professional job and learn what the price would be for when I am ready. If you have this experience and would be willing to do it, please email me and let me know your price.

Please scroll down to reach the current Article for this page.

Spiders verified to be here in Michigan are listed on the left sidebar. On the right sidebar, are the spiders of which pictures have been sent in to me.

MICHIGAN SPIDERS - The BOOK

Michigan Spiders (Ebook version) is available at Smashwords for only $3.99 and at least at this time, is more complete than this site. It has more spiders and shows pictures for more species of spiders.

Once it becomes available at other stores (including the printed version at Amazon) I will update this posting.

NOT IN MICHIGAN? Thats okay! If you have a spider you want identified, and you are not from Michigan, or even America, please send the picture to me through my new (still in progress) site's email. Visit the Spider Guide for information.

VERY IMPORTANT
Contrary to what most people believe, the Brown Recluse is NOT indigenous to Michigan. However, if you have reason to believe you have found one, DO NOT discard it alive or dead! I can only uncover about 4 confirmed sightings ever in Michigan. A sighting cannot be confirmed without positive identification and this will take more than just a picture. Whether you catch it alive or kill it, please take pictures and send them to me. If I agree it is the Recluse, I will help you have it identified professionally. You can find the email where to send it, below.

**NOTE**

I am NOT an expert. It is of utmost importance to me that all Spider information listed in Michigan Spiders, is true and accurate. If I have any information on Michigan Spiders wrong, or you do not wish me to use a pic or info that you sent to me, please email me and let me know. More will be added as I find time to do so. Thanks for visiting Michigan Spiders.

Spider Questions and IDENTIFICATION Requests
If you have any questions or have a picture of a spider you would like me to identify, please feel free to email me. Please attach the picture of the spider to the email as a JPEG or a BMP. I would prefer you did not paste the picture in the body of the email unless there is no other way.
EMAIL ME at MichiganSpiders@hotmail.com

NOTE -- Any pictures sent to me for identification (or any other reason) may be used in this site. I would ask you to please include your first name and the city you found the spider. (I will only use the first name). IF, you do not wish me to use either the picture, first name, or city, please let me know!

Describing your Spider

Photographing your Spider


Your Fear of Spiders


Dealing with Spiders in your Home

Please keep in mind that I am a very busy person. Between my family, my job, my books, and Michigan Spiders, there is often not enough time in the day. The lack of free time makes it very difficult for me to put any real time into updating this site, and I am sorry for that. I do try to keep up with emails during the warm months, but please be patient if you do not hear back from me within a day or two.

FOR YOUR ENTERTAINMENT
.....

Beyond Spider Dome
A clear plastic dome (well it is more of a cylinder really), where two spiders are released to face each other in a fight to the death.

Spiders and Drugs
Documentary video about the effects different drugs have on spiders.

Play with a computer spider (Flash)


For a little better understanding of the body parts of the Spider, please refer to our Spider Diagram.

Saturday, June 18, 2011

Submitted Pics - Orb Weaver Spiders

The following are pictures of Orb Weaver Spiders that have been submitted to me by others living in Michigan. In doing this, I am able to show pictures of spiders in Michigan that I myself have not seen, as well as more pics of those I have posted officially as being in Michigan.

Please understand that the Orb Weaver Spiders in this section may or may not be indigenous to Michigan. I would hope that others would be honest and actually send pics of Orb Weaver Spiders they have actually found in Michigan, but I cannot make any guarantees.

I would also like to thank all of those listed below for their kindness in sending me these pics and giving me permission to use them as well as their first name and city.


Marilyn - Traverse City

23 comments:

  1. I came across an unusual spider and cannot seem to identify it. And of course, it was gone before a camera could be produced. It was dark irridescent green with dark purple irr.head and legs. It was approx. 4-5mm, the size of a small screen jumping spider. I will keep my eye out for him but any help you could provide in his identity would be appreciated! (= Teresa near Kalamazoo

    ReplyDelete
  2. just found a orange female orb weaver on my apple tree in the front yard. Ilive in plainwell michigan about 40 minutes south of grand rapids. if i had a way to post i pic i would but i don't. this spider is BIG!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I live in Jackson Mi, and i just saw one propelling down in front of my garage door. Gave me a heart attack. THING WAS HUGE!!!! With a big brown butt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. me too i stay on whitney st off of ganson just caught one in a mason jar im gonna register with the site and upload/send the admin a pic

      Delete
  4. What color is that orb weaver? I found one that is yellow with black spots. IT IS HUGE!!!!!!!!!!! I live in Allegan Michigan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i found a toublar thing stuck on some plywood.it was like the nest a paper wasp make out of mud.it had tuns of babies in it,one big one.it looks like the picture of the orb wearver spider.then today we seen a big 0ne hanging on garage door!!i live in hopkins.october 8 2011 at 1:30

    ReplyDelete
  6. we found this spider on the outside of my daughters window. are they poisonous? Southgate,MI

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nope, they are harmless for the most part. Go to their page on the left side of my site to learn more about them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I live in a rural area in Carleton, MI. We have these spiders by the dozens on the tall side of our home in the summertime. THEY ARE BIG!! The largest one that I've seen had a body the size of a quarter and my husband has seen larger. They do not seem to be aggressive. In fact, in the summer their webs are very close to our front door. When entering our home at night our heads are inches from them. I will take a few photos and submit soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We found one in our house, we think it hitched a ride in from someone as we had many people over for Thanksgiving dinner. This thing is HUGE like everyone else said. We live in Byron Center, MI. We captured it and took pictures of it in the jar so they may not be as nice as the ones you have on here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I believe I've seen two of these spiders out on my front porch. I am terrified of spiders as it is and once again they were huge. I didn't leave the house until some silly kid killed them..i didn't wanna kill them, I just wanted them to go away. I live in Detroit, MI.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Killed a terra cotta colored spider yesterday- when I went to move it ,it squirted liquid at me, large body small head and long legs

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have had three of the top pictured spider in my house so far this spring and the do look like miniature tarantulas. They scare me to death. It takes a lot of raid spider killer to kill the big ones. Sorry no picture.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We have the "Wanted Spider #1" living un-wantingly in our home :(

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just opened my door when I got home, slid the screen door shut to the house and seen something. Thought it was dead bug being eaten by tiny little bugs so I got closer and then realized it was a huge spider just sitting there. I took a pic of it but I cant seem to find one exaclty like it! This orb spider looks to be the closest but Im not for sure! Can you tell me where I can go to send this to you so you can identify it please and thank you! Whittemore, MI at 3:30 pm

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is what I think I found tonight. I live in Clinton Township, do orb weavers tend to have a face or skull looking abdominal? I don't know what it is, their tiny and fat. And in the townhouses here they are above everyone's door down the line.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have several of these on my front porch, I usually leave them alone until my son was bitten by a spider whose venom started rotting my sons muscle tissue, his bite started out like a bruise and then kept getting bigger in circumference. It took alot of antibiotics to take care of the infection but it finally went away. The Drs. had considered cutting it out. I don't mess with spiders anymore and use spray to kill them, but I will try and get pics of those I have seen recently for you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. gosh those are everywhere here there so creepy!!! there all over the porch linden, mi

    ReplyDelete
  18. The spider above is a shamrock. Harmless. I was bitten by one several times.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Have this spider building a web every night on my porch next to the front door. Coolest thing ever! Big with the cross on its back. Takes the web down every morning for me. Seems pretty harmless since it runs away every time I open the door. Live in New Hudson MI

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think I have and Orb spider on my outside kitchen window, very large intricate web and he/she is just sitting in the middle. What surprises me is that the spider and web were not there yesterday. Although beautiful I'm concerned if it's poisonous since I have 2 very curious grandkids who spend a lot of time at my home and if it is dangerous for them to play outside. Any help will be appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I live outside metro Detroit

    ReplyDelete
  22. I live in flint Michigan and me and my family saw one that looks similar to this dangling down from our tree in the front yard. I have been trying to figure out what kind of spider it is and this is the closest I have seen to it, so is it possible this could be the spider it is?

    ReplyDelete